Wednesday, May 30, 2012

And the LAMMY Nominations Are Out.....

So here we are again true believers and faithful readers.  The LAMMY nominations have been announced.  This is my second year of eligibility for the awards (voted on by my peers and handed out by the fine folks over at The Large Association of Movie Blogs, aka the LAMB) and this is now also my second year of receiving exactly zero nominations.   Now to be honest, I wasn't really expecting to get any nods (my comments are so disastrously low that sometimes I wonder if anyone at all is even out there reading these damn posts), but still I had some rather high hopes (as can be sen by one of my FYC ads to the left), and I had my eye on at least Best Movie Reviewer and/or the Brainiac Award.  But alas, twas not to be.

Now I am not saying I deserve a nomination ahead of those that did receive them.  Many great sites were nominated.  Duke and the Movies, Garbo Laughs, The Hollywood Revue, Dan the Man's Movie Reviews, Deny Everything, Where Danger Lives, French Toast Sunday and a place I actually do some writing for, Anomalous Material, were all among the nominees, and they are all most deserving of such accolades.  Still though, it would have been nice to be among them.  But I do whole-heartedly congratulate each and every LAMMY nominee.  And meanwhile, I suppose I need to network my site a bit more.  As I parenthetically mentioned above, it seems like no one is out there listening - and that is something I need to change.

I see some of my favourite cinematic sites (Glenn Kenny's Some Came Running, Farran Smith Nehme's Self-Styled Siren, Marilyn Ferdinand's Ferdy on Films, Kim Morgan's Sunset Gun, Stacia over at She Blogged By Night, Dennis Cozzalio's Sergio Leone and the Infield Fly Rule, Rod Heath's This Island Rod) are just lousy with comments - almost as if a community of sorts.  So I suppose my goal for 2012 is to stop my whining and get to that level of followdom.  Then no one will ignore me dammit (insert maniacal laughter here please).  Seriously though, congrats to all the nominees and good luck in the final voting round.  I hope to be joining you next year at this time.

8 comments:

Andrew Robinson said...

I feel ya man. I feel the same way. Which is kind of why I didn't even bother to campaign this time around. I tried three years running and am yet to receive one nomination. I ask for podcast and reviewer only (I don't need to win, but nomination would be nice)...

But yes, lots of other great blogs out there that I'm happy get nominations.

Candice Frederick said...

congrats!!

Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

I thought for sure you'd snag at least one nom, Brother Kev. (FWIW, I did nominate you in every category you FYC'd.) I didn't even bother with the whole deal this year because...well, to quote one of my favorite Parkerisms, "I'm too fucking busy and vice versa."

But I do think--not that I'm trying to take anything from those who were nominated; many of them are very good friends of mine and I will shout out their accomplishments at my homebase--that if you look at the people you mentioned who are "just lousy with comments" they're also the ones who decided long ago that the LAMMYs are a glorified vanity project created by a guy whose nomination for Funniest Blog seems to have stemmed from his oh-so-clever site name that's an anagram for a naughty act performed with someone's ma. (I shall say no more.)

Kevyn Knox said...

Andrew - Yeah, I would never expect to win in such a cliquey atmosphere, but a nomination now and again would be nice.

Candice - Not sure who the congrats is for, but I will take it anyway.

Ivan - Ha! I get it. And thanx. Like I said in my post (I am paraphrasing of course) Stop whinin' and get writin'.

MP said...

I know what you mean. I didn't expect much either and my comments number is always very low if it's not at zero... I voted for you in the categories you mentionned in your FYC banner. Better luck next year!

Anonymous said...

Time sure flies Kevyn. It only seems like 5 minutes ago that Jack L and myself were commenting on the revamp of your site in the aftermath of last years Lammy nominations.
Isn't it strange that Jack, who received a nomination hasn't posted anything in months, but you're still here treating us to regular, quality content.

I'm not a member of the LAMB so I've got no insight into the voting process, although I did enjoy Ivan's input.
I would like to echo Michael though, good luck, I'm sure you'll get there next year!

Marshall Hoskins said...

Kevyn! Cheer-up ol' chap. Despite you lacking voluminous comments on your painstakingly clever posts, people are reading. Yes, I can now say that I am somewhat of an addict to your blog since the last time we talked about it, and man has it be sweet reading. Thanks for the quality lit and just know that it doesn't go unappreciated.

Kevyn Knox said...

Thanx for the love guys. I think my ego is repaired now. Seriously though, I am glad to hear people are reading. They will just say I'm crazy if I am talking to myself - and I do that enough in real life anyway. Thanx again.