Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Cinematheque Reviews:
The Temptation of St. Tony

I must admit to having little to no knowledge of the national cinema of Estonia.  In fact my watching of The Temptation of St. Tony is the full extent of that aforementioned little to no knowledge of the national cinema of Estonia.  Judging from just this one movie though, I have nothing but good things to say about said cinema. 

Of course I am pretty sure The Temptation of St. Tony is not meant to be the standard bearer for Estonian cinema, so I can only say what I think of this one particular film.  What I think of this one particular film though is also nothing but good things.  A remarkably surprising film, or a surprisingly remarkable film, with not-so-hidden homages and/or inspirations to and/or from every director from Tarkovsky to Bresson to Bergman to David Lynch, and back again, The Temptation of St. Tony is a stunning, strange, sublime visual work of art that took this critic completely by surprise.


No comments: