Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Film Poll #6: Chaplin vs. Keaton

It is an age old question that has been dividing cinephiles for decades and decades (and decades and decades) - who is greater, Charlie Chaplin or Buster Keaton.  Bertolucci went so far as to add this perennial debate to his 2003 movie The Dreamers (between American Michael Pitt and Frenchman Louis Garrel).  I know where my loyalties lie, what about you?  Go on over to the lefthanded sidebar and let your voice be heard by clicking on either Chaplin or Keaton.  Forget all about that election last week - this is the big one.

6 comments:

MP said...

It's funny that you're having this poll today I was writing a short essay on Keaton's Sherlock Jr. yesterday night and I was blabering about the differences between those two legendary performers! For me this is a very sentimental debate you have here...

Roderick Heath said...

Thank you for attracting my interest to this Kevin, but I must decline to vote. I find this supposed dichotomy one of the most pointless, even offensive, in cinephile annals.

Kevyn Knox said...

Are not all polls (of any sort) basically pointless? It's just for fun of course.

DVD Infatuation said...

I remember this debate from THE DREAMERS, and I couldn't decide who I agreed with. I still have a hard time. I love them both.

Biff said...

I am not above pointless arguments.

Harold Lloyd. Boom. That just happened.

Kevyn Knox said...

I was debating putting Lloyd and Arbuckle and Langdon and others, but just went with that perennial debate instead.