Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Best of the Decade: Year 2001

Welcome to Part II of the Best of the Decade Project.  Each few days I will name my choices for the best films of each particular year in the aforementioned decade.  This will culminate just after the new year with my list of the 50 greatest films of the decade.  So without further ado I give you my top ten for the year 2001. 

1. Mulholland Dr. (David Lynch)
2. Y Tu Mama, Tambien (Alfonso Cuaron)
3. The Royal Tanenbaums (Wes Anderson)
4. Moulin Rouge (Baz Luhrmann) 
5. Atanarjuat: The Fast Runner (Zacharias Kunuk)
6. Spirited Away (Hayao Miyazaki)
7. Late Marriage (Dovar Kosashvili) 
8. The Piano Teacher (Michael Haneke)
9. The Son's Room (Nanni Moretti) 
10. Gosford Park (Robert Altman)

3 comments:

MP said...

Great list! They're films there I haven't seen yet! Here's my Top 10 for 2001 http://cinephiliaque.blogspot.com/2009/11/les-meilleurs-films-de-la-derniere_29.html

Kevyn Knox said...

Nice list Michael. I could never get into Amelie though and as for A.I., I still cannot forgive Spielberg for ruining Kubrick's vision - but maybe that's just me.

I am glad to see someone else admires Vanilla Sky. I didn't put it on my list, but I do think it is a lot better than what most give it credit for.

BTW, Are you doing a list for each year like I am?

MP said...

Yes I saw all the decades lists on They Shoot Pictures Don't They? and I wanted to make my List too of the decade! And I've seen you put year by year and thought it was a good idea!